Wednesday 10 August 2011

The End of the World

What a beautiful day it was today! It was under a gorgeous sunny sky that I drove the F150 over the roller-coaster that is our hallowed path to civilization, a.k.a. the town closest to us where we can buy a decent amount of stuff. As I returned from town, I couldn't help but think of a particular country road that my parents would drive when I was a kid. Bouncing over big bumps and small, I was suddenly reminded of a scene from my childhood that involved travelling by car (also a Ford, if I remember correctly) to a destination that I can no longer recall. The route in question was memorable because a lengthy leg of it was quite hilly, and at certain points the road would suddenly spring up enough that we were unable to see anything on the other side of the hill. From the backseat, my sisters and I would yell out "It's the end of the world!" and hold our breath in the anticipation that our car might actually fall off the edge of the earth. Our eyeballs bulged as we tried to peer over the acme of the hill to the other side, attempting to determine whether or not we would plummet to our doom. We never did. And I didn't yesterday either, although I sure did grin to myself remembering those topsy-turvy times.

 

The above picture quite possibly shows the edge of the earth as seen in Northern Saskatchewan. Another thing the picture shows is something that does not incite happy thoughts...graffiti on the Canadian Shield. I really detest seeing fluorescent markings on the magnificent rock that is the foundation of half of our country and wish that people had  more respect for our beautiful surroundings.


On this road constant turns keep one's attention to the foreground so the eyesore on the face of the rock quickly became peripheral and then vanished behind me. I didn't notice anything further out of the ordinary until I got closer to home, where such vandalism is sadly quite frequent. Luckily the day was too lovely to be ruined by a little ill-placed paint. On the final hill before town I stared down the blue sky that was all I could see ahead of me. I knew that my small Northern Town was on the other side. And a whole lot of breathtaking nature. And not much else. "It's the end of the world!"

2 comments:

  1. One word... Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree about the graffiti, but otherwise the scenery looks really gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete