Friday 14 October 2011

Quick and Easy

Today, a cool and windy day, I just wanted to share a simple pattern for a chunky knit cowl. It took me a day or two do knit completely, and in fact the first time I did it I wasn't 100% sure whether I liked the end result so I just took it all apart and started again the next day. Here's the pattern that I ended up with:

Chunky Cowl


Cast on 50 stitches onto one 12 mm circular needle: the chunkier the yarn the better
Transfer half of the stitches onto the second 12 mm circular needle and joint in the round
Row 1: Knit (K)
Row 2: Pearl (P)
Repeat rows 1-2 four more times
Row 11: K1, Slip, slip, knit (ssk), K until the last 3 stitches of round, Knit two together (K2tog), K1 - decrease of 2 stitches (48)
Row 12: P
Repeat rows 11-12 four more times (until 40 stitches)
Row 20: K
Row 21: P
Row 22: K1, Make one (M1), K until the last stitch of round, M1, K1 - increase of 2 stitches (42)
Row 23: P
Repeat rows 22-23 (until 44 stitches)
Row 24: K
Cast off LOOSELY and sew in ends


I used Flamm FB Fashion wool, which is interesting because it's thick and thin intermittently, so the cowl turned out really nicely. Even after my second attempt, I still feel that the cowl turned out a little looser on the neck than I might like, so you can try casting on a few less stitches if you want a more snug fit, or don't do the increases but make sure that you cast off loosely (I didn't the first time and the result is that the cowl would hardly fit over my head despite being loose everywhere else). The nice thing about the circular needles is that you can try the cowl on as you go (looks a little goofy with the needles hanging out, but you sure can get the picture of how it is fitting) so feel free to alter the pattern as necessary, or just try your own! Like I said, it doesn't take long to do so it is not a big deal if you need to start over at a certain point.


Today is a perfect day to wear the cowl, as it is cold enough (snowed a little bit again) that just a sweater or jacket aren't enough on their own; however a sweater with gloves and the cowl was fine for shorter jaunts outside with the pups. Having a warm neck can sometimes make a world of difference between cold and comfortable; that's why it is always handy to have a chunky knit cowl on hand!

2 comments:

  1. Let me start by saying how much I have enjoyed reading your previous posts, but this one demands a comment. Your flair for fashion and ability to knit far surpass my own abilities but this "cowl" you speak of is nothing more than a glorified dickie! The last time I checked dickies were not to be encouraged, unless this is one of those cyclical fashion things or they were always cool but nobody knew. If the latter is the case then I am a trend setter as I used to rock the dickie when I was a lad. At any rate keep posting and we will save some seats for you guys for our Christmas party but we will understand if you can't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a dickie because it doesn't come out from under the shirt, rather it sits over top and keeps the neck snug in a fashionable way. Well, this is my opinion and you're entitled to yours, anonymous. In any case, my neck is kept warm in the chilly North so I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete