Wednesday 21 September 2011

Zen Moment

I've finally gotten around to finishing a knitting project that I had started back in June when such a thing seemed unnecessary: yoga socks. At the time the socks were unnecessary not only because of the outside temperature, but also because I was doing hot yoga classes in my hometown and the very last thing I needed in the 40 + degree room was wool on my soles. Now that I am Up North, however, there are no hot yoga classes to be found, and as the weather cools so does my current yoga studio...my living room. Me being a creature known to occasionally ponder the future, I had foreseen this eventuality, thus beginning the yoga sock project in June.  


The socks are ingenious because they keep one's ankles, soles and upper feet warm in cooler temperatures, while allowing the heels and pads of the feet to remain exposed, therefore the much needed foot to mat friction is maintained. In other words, you don't slide all over the mat (unless you're at hot yoga and your mat has become one big puddle, but that's another story).


Yoga socks are a great project for beginners, since there is no need to shape a heel or toe; just plain knitting and purling. I do hope to become adept at sock knitting someday, but since I only started knitting about a year ago and my skills have not evolved far enough yet, I am quite content to have a couple pairs of these cute sock-like things around for now. The pattern belongs to Paton, whose website can be found by following this link. You have to actually become a member in order to access the pattern, but considering how many great free patterns that Paton offers on its website I'd say that it's worth signing in. I used circular needles instead of knitting in the round on straight ones. I think next time I will fiddle with the pattern a bit, maybe trying a cable-knit design or making a pair with solid stripes instead of variegated ones.


The only challenge that remains after finally finishing these socks is that I actually will have to get into yoga again! Since the big move, the settling in, the new job and the new puppies, I've not actually been doing any yoga up here, but that is going to have to change soon. It's important to take time for oneself and I can feel the benefits of stretching on a regular basis, so there should really be no excuse as to why I cannot seem to find the time for yoga. If for no other reason than the reminder to breathe....just breathe.


A final word for those who made it through the post, especially if you're not a fan of knitting or just don't give a fig (in that case I specifically applaud you for making it this far!). I want to share with you a photo that I took today which reminds me that everything is beautiful in its own way, even that which is normally looked upon as less than desirable. A challenge to you today: be aware of things in your life that may not seem appealing at first glance, but that in a certain moment many turn out to be a blessing.


Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. Impressive!! You've got some great knitting skills!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete