Sunday 6 November 2011

Deep Freeze

Winter is slowly creeping its way into every nook and cranny of our lives Up North. The sun seems to sleep in more every day and is off to bed again ever earlier. The temperature is more often below zero degrees than above. Each time I take a walk with the puppies, I look forward to seeing what new signs of winter can be found. 


The lake is just starting to freeze in its more quiet edges, 
however the open waters are still have a long way to go.

Last week I noticed some mysterious eggs lapping up on the beach; 
as the chilly water has receded over time it has coated the eggs so that they 
seem like crystal marbles in the washed up debris.

A sheet of ice makes makes a lovely frame for multi-coloured stones. 

Autumn is preserved in an icy puddle, one of the many on the uneven surface of the Canadian Shield.

 A corner of field is transformed into a rustic ice rink where my puppies love to slip and slide!

 Bubbles caught red-handed in a frenzied escape from the ground; 
I can't really blame them for wanting to flee the freezing earth.

 A wiry shrub is definitely feeling the deep freeze of the season...right down to its roots.

I`m happy to have shared some treats of the changing seasons. It`s always amazing to me what can be seen as beautiful when you appreciate the smaller, more subtle parts of nature as much as the obvious ones. I dare you to take a walk and do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment