Friday 17 August 2012

Even More Choked Up

Just had to quickly share this most delicious use of chokecherries yet! I was Googling different uses for the little guys and came across something called a Chokecherry Crown Roll. It's a lot like a danish, and it is AWESOME!

Chokecherry Crown Roll


The dough for these rolls is quite easy to make, and super soft and sumptuous. Here's the link to the site found at Food.com. I altered the filling amounts because it's really hard to pit the cherries, so I was only able to get 1 cup of the cherries themselves, and more easily had 2 cups of juice. I followed the instructions for making the filling, but doubled the sugar and cornstarch amounts because of the extra juice, and also because I thought the mixture was still too sour. In fact, when I had my first taste of the finished product it was still a little too sour so I had to compensate by slathering more icing on top, which, when you think about it, isn't a difficult decision to make at all.


These rolls were well worth the effort; I took them to work and everybody raved about them. Plus, given the fact that the nearest bakery or doughnut shop is almost 200 km away, they were an extra nice treat. And you don't really need chokecherries; I'm definitely going to try making some blueberry crown rolls as well. Oh, the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment