Thursday 22 December 2011

On the Eleventh Post of Christmas I'm Pleased to Share with Thee...

...Eleven Homey Habits...

Only a few days left until Christmas and I'm really getting into the season. I am currently not Up North, having returned to Southern Ontario to spend this special time with family and friends. I suppose that the term Up North is relative, and to some readers I still am quite North being in Canada, but to me it seems very much Down South.


The most shocking difference between Here and There is the lack of snow! It made me miss my new home as soon as I landed in Toronto. The lovely white fluffy snow really enhanced the holiday season back in Saskatchewan, although I'll gladly suffer through a green and brown Christmas to be with the people I love again for awhile. For this post I thought to simply share with you the things that I love about being home at Christmas.


Christmas Flavours. I've already explored the most common spices and aromas to be found during the holidays through baking, cocktail shaking and ice cream making. A great way to start your Christmas morning right would be with a special blend of Christmas tea or coffee. A couple of years ago I picked up an amazing tea in Kenzington Market in Toronto. It's a Christmas Cookie black tea by Tea4U (I tried looking up their website but the link on the package didn't work, so unfortunately I can't guide you to them) and it is divine! The fragrance is absolutely delicious, as it truly does smell like home baking. The brewed tea is also fabulous; not too sweet despite the name and smoothly rich. If you can find it, or something like it, cherish that first cup of the day.


Christmas Favours: When it's time to get the party started, there's nothing like starting it off with a bang, a crown and a little keepsake. Plus, you need another person to properly pop open a Christmas cracker, which encourages gathering together. Not that one needs any encouragement to get together this time of year!


Christmas Sweets: I generally stay with tradition when doing my holiday baking, but not everyone adheres to that frame of mind, particularly my Christmas sweeties, my niece and nephew. Here's an example of what can happen when you mix icing and creative kids. Children generally make the holidays more special, so if you don't have little ones in your life this Christmas, I encourage you to go out and find some somewhere because the best way for an adult to enjoy the season is through the eyes of a child.


Christmas Eats: I've posted before about the importance of eating well during the holidays, so I'll just give it one more nod here. The French say se faire la bouffe for eating together, and of course when French people gather around the table, good food is a given. One of the most important ingredients to a successful Christmas bouffe is cheese. If you don't have time to go all out preparing a lovely feast, you can still guarantee a fantastic culinary experience with a nice bottle of wine and a cheese plate. Creamy, herbed, aged, smoked, spiced or garnished, as long as there is variety on your board everything will be fine. The Beatles didn't get it quite right, so I'm going to propose an addition to one of their most famous songs: Love, and cheese, is all you need!


Christmas Box: Speaking of must-eats of the season, I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you if you've read my previous December posts that I'm going to write again of Swiss Chocolate. It's just wonderful. Most stores have Lindt nowadays, but I challenge you to see if you can find a European deli that will have more variety. Of course, certain brands of American chocolate have become synonymous with Christmas as well, and I've enjoyed a lot of that stuff over the years too. Sadly, I was recently quite let-down by Pot of Gold chocolates. I was excited to see the Caramels Collection this year, as everyone goes for the caramels first and the black box only has a few of them. I was also surprised that the price of the box was much lower than other years. Well, it didn't take me long to see why the cost has dropped (although I think the box may be a bit smaller too); the chocolates were not very tasty. The quality seems to have plunged; instead of a delicious chewy caramel with a creamy chocolate coating, it was a runny brown syrup inside a tasteless shell. I won't buy them again. Go with Swiss chocolate, my friends. It's what they do.

 

Christmas Socks: Deck the halls with Christmas stockings, fa la la la la la la la! Of course the countdown to Christmas for most kids is really just a countdown to presents. We don't hang our stockings by the chimney with care, we hang them in the hall. Clearly we've got a big job to do before Christmas Eve, as these socks are looking pathetically thin.  


Christmas Glow: Lights are an important part of the holiday experience, and I suppose that harkens back to the Christmas Story. The star that guided the Wise Men to Bethlehem certainly cannot be ignored, and in fact, most cultural holidays include light as an integral element. Hannakuh has the Menorah and the story of the oil that miraculously lit the lamps for eight days. Similarly, Kwanzaa has a Kinara which holds seven candles. Lights and lanterns are a symbol of Ramadan, as feasting is only allowed once the sun has set. Diwali is literally the "festival of lights". Regardless of why you celebrate, candles add a lovely ambiance to any special gathering.


Christmas Cards in a Row: In this newest age of mass media broadcasting, there is something to be said for receiving a Christmas card in the mail. It may be outdated, it may be expensive, but it is still thoughtful and appreciated. It is incredibly easy to tweet to thousands of people at once, or even send a group text or email, so a card means that you can be sure someone thought of you specifically and put some effort into letting you know that you are loved. The cute little kitty guarding this string of cards is Mumford. He chose to sit on the mantle so idyllically that this photo could almost be a Christmas card.


Christmas Bubbles to toast away Christmas Troubles: The holidays are, after all, a time of celebration! Nevertheless, the holidays can be stressful. Even the most seasoned Christmas revelers are likely to feel anxious at some point in December. It could be something serious like having to deal with a personal tragedy while everyone around is so festive, or something frivolous like which wine to serve at your holiday gathering. Unfortunately not all of your worries will disappear at the pop of the champagne cork, but some may. Sparkling wine pairs with virtually any and every food, so it's a no-brainer to serve when friends and family are over. As for those larger issues, there is always something in life to celebrate, even if at times it doesn't seem that way. Make an effort to find something worth toasting to, even if it is only the miracle of life itself.


Christmas Trees: I've already shared a few of my favourite Christmas finds, some of which come from different parts of the world. These clay trees were made right Here by a local Ontarian artist. I try to make a point of seeking out Christmas markets and bazaars in order to find unique treasures to relish for years to come.

 

Christmas, Please! You may think that I'm crazy. I love Christmas a lot and I'm not afraid to say it. I spend the last month of each year making sure that the traditions are kept, recipes are made, decorations are hung, toasts are made and presents are wrapped. For me it's quite fun in itself, but I've come to realize that all of the preparations are great for another reason: they prolong and heighten the anticipation of the time when my family gets together to eat, drink, laugh and give gifts. I was never the type of kid to go snooping around my parents' room for an early glimpse of Christmas presents, and as an adult I'd still rather not have any hints about what is under the tree. I enjoy the sensation that looking forward to something great involves, it's a child-like feeling that I cherish and proof that one never has to completely grow up. That is why I love Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you soon...though I must admit the one part of your post makes it sound like you're encouraging child abduction!! See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete